All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk Platform Upgrade Readiness App Read Error

thscheidegger
Explorer

I'm trying to run the app version 2.0 on Splunk 7.3.3 on Windows Server 2016. Even as Admin I always get the error 'read'. In the instructions this is referred as a known issue if the permissions are insufficient. I had no problems on Linux, is there an issue with Splunk on Windows?

0 Karma
1 Solution

thscheidegger
Explorer

Thanks to the help of a colleague we found the solution:

| rest /services/apps/local
| table title eai:acl.perms.read

find the app(s) with no read permission and correct it

View solution in original post

thscheidegger
Explorer

Thanks to the help of a colleague we found the solution:

| rest /services/apps/local
| table title eai:acl.perms.read

find the app(s) with no read permission and correct it

mblietz
Explorer

It seems to be because an app has no read permission set. I found it by searching the request (/services/apps/local?output_mode=json&count=0) and for an app without read. Then set read permission and it works

ivanreis
Builder

The same issue is happening on OS X as well. I was not able to test the solution on windows servers, but I simulate the issue in my local Splunk Enterprise running on OS X and it had fixed the issue. I am not able to find where the permission issues are on OS X, I re-apply the permissions on Mac, but it did not fix the issue.
What I did to get this correct working, I did a back from etc folder, remove Splunk Enterprise, reboot the server and Install Splunk Enterprise, Splunk Platform Upgrade Readiness App and it had worked.

Check this answer -> https://answers.splunk.com/answers/786636/splunk-platform-upgrade-readiness-app-on-os-x.html

0 Karma

thscheidegger
Explorer

The errors I get on the Windows installation are not very useful

2019-12-03 09:26:35,223 INFO 5596 - Handling a request
2019-12-03 09:26:35,240 INFO 5596 - Executing function, name=get_read_progress
2019-12-03 09:26:38,609 INFO 5596 - Handling a request
2019-12-03 09:26:38,609 INFO 5596 - Executing function, name=get_app_list
2019-12-03 09:26:38,641 ERROR 5596 - Failed to handle request due to an unhandled exception
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "D:\Splunk\etc\apps\upgrade_readiness_app\bin\app_list.py", line 118, in handle
return function_to_call(scan_type)
File "D:\Splunk\etc\apps\upgrade_readiness_app\bin\app_list.py", line 161, in get_app_list
user_app_list = self.get_user_apps(content_role, content_apps)
File "D:\Splunk\etc\apps\upgrade_readiness_app\bin\app_list.py", line 231, in get_user_apps
read_permission = app['acl']['perms']['read']
KeyError: 'read'

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...