All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk DB Connect Teradata connection issue

przemysaw
Explorer

Hi,

I have 2 Splunk servers with Splunk App DB Connect installed - version 3.1.3 on both. Teradata driver is the same on both as well (terajdbc4.jar v15). All next steps are done in GUI - I have created an identity. When trying to set up a connection to the db server, from one Splunk server it is successful, but from the second one not. There is an error message:

There was an error processing your request. It has been logged (ID a306ca754260b3d5).

going further, in splunk_app_db_connect_server.log I have found this ID:

2020-02-06 11:21:30.135 +0100  [dw-78 - POST /api/connections/status] ERROR io.dropwizard.jersey.errors.LoggingExceptionMapper - Error handling a request: a306ca754260b3d5
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class com.teradata.tdgss.jtdgss.TdgssManager

The db host is accessible from both Splunk servers directly.
I have updated the Teradata driver to the latest version on not working one, but it did not help, the error is still the same.

Can anyone advise, why is that? What else can be different between these two Splunk servers that one works fine with this specific db server and the second not?

Thank you in advance,
Przemek

0 Karma
1 Solution

PavelP
Motivator

The error indicates that the particular class is not available in java classpath

check that you have both terajdbc4.jar AND tdgssconfig.jar installed correctly in different directories:

terajdbc4.jar to the $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/splunk_app_db_connect/drivers

tdgssconfig.jar to the $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/splunk_app_db_connect/drivers/terajdbc4-libs

Reload the driver under Settings>Drivers.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

PavelP
Motivator

The error indicates that the particular class is not available in java classpath

check that you have both terajdbc4.jar AND tdgssconfig.jar installed correctly in different directories:

terajdbc4.jar to the $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/splunk_app_db_connect/drivers

tdgssconfig.jar to the $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/splunk_app_db_connect/drivers/terajdbc4-libs

Reload the driver under Settings>Drivers.

0 Karma

przemysaw
Explorer

Thanks, really tdgssconfig.jar was missing on not working one (no idea why). But reloading drivers was not enough, after splunk restart it started to work.
Many thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...