All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk Add-on for Apache Web Server: Too restrictive?

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I'm playing with the Splunk Add-on for Apache Web Server but it looks to be restrictive on the log format as per: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/AddOns/released/ApacheWebServer/Configure
But is there a way to use this without changing the log format since many organizations have a restriction on changing their log format.
I'd love to use this TA so I can make my access_combined CIM-compliant but looks like I'm losing a lot of fields since I can't change the httpd.conf log format.
Maybe I'm missing something simple here?

0 Karma

jdonn_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

If you cannot change the format of the file, change the field extractions to fit your data. You can do this in props.conf & transforms.conf or use the field extraction utility in the GUI.

However, if you are missing some of the fields used to drive dashboard panels, you may have to update some of the searches to pretty up the dashboards.

0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Blerg. I love how the access_combined sourcetype that comes with splunk already extracts all the fields. I'm looking for a solution where that is extended to be CIM-compliant. I don't want to reinvent the wheel by recreating the field extractions etc that the access_combined pulls out so nicely.

0 Karma

gfuente
Motivator

This sounds like a good candidate to fill a "Enhacement Request" through Splunk support

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...