All Apps and Add-ons

Nest Home Thermostat: I'm using the correct username and password, but why am I getting "An error occurred while trying to log into Nest.com"?

Jon_Irish
Explorer

I have installed the Nest Home Thermostat App for Splunk and configured it, but the only data I am seeing is the following:

Collection: error 
Time: 2016-04-22 09:46:09.224486 
error: An error occured while trying to log into Nest.com 
error_raw: HTTP Error 400: Bad Request

I have verified that I am using the correct username and password. What else should I look for?

Thanks,
Jon

0 Karma
1 Solution

Jon_Irish
Explorer

So I am really embarrassed now. I would never have thought that i mistyped my Nest password that many times. Definitely a drawback to using long complex passwords!

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Jon_Irish
Explorer

So I am really embarrassed now. I would never have thought that i mistyped my Nest password that many times. Definitely a drawback to using long complex passwords!

0 Karma

Jon_Irish
Explorer

Well, that solved the issue with not pulling any data, but now I am not getting any data in the actual dashboards. If I look at the index I setup for the Nest app (named nest), I see 590 events in the index, but all of the dashboards return "No results found." Has anyone got this app to function properly? I understand that it uses undocumented API calls, so it is entirely possible that Nest changed something and broke everything, but with the amount of data that I am pulling down, I would think that I should be getting at least some data into the dashboards.

Thanks,
Jon

0 Karma

Jon_Irish
Explorer

Just figured this one out as well. Yes, all the data is there. I just had to modify the source code for the dashboards. Since I was using a custom index (I named it nest), I had to add "index=nest" to the lines that had "sourcetype=nest". Once I did this for all of the dashboards, they all functioned properly.

Nice app... I really like having a history of my Nest data!

Jon

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...