All Apps and Add-ons

Multiplexer Module with JS Chart Crashes Webpage

cmak
Contributor

I am using a Multiplexer Module in order to show a few JS Charts. When I change the Charts that I would like to show, the page crashes (becomes frozen), and I have to close the tab.

<module name="Search" layoutPanel="panel_row7_col1">
      <param name="search">index=vg_13_0_5 $HLA_Select$ $DUT_Select$|stats count by DUT | head 5</param>
      <module name="Multiplexer">
        <param name="field">DUT</param>
        <module name="Search">
          <param name="search">sourcetype=vg_sourcetype index=vg_13_0_5 $HLA_Select$ DUT="$DUT$" | convert timeformat="%Y" ctime(_time) AS Year|eval desired_time=Year . "-WW".Workweek|where desired_time >= "$EarliestTime$" AND desired_time &lt;= "$LatestTime$"|chart max("Aggregated Coverage") over desired_time by DUT useother=f</param>

<module name="JSChart">
                                                                                                            </module>
        </module>
      </module>
    </module> 

When $DUT_Select$ changes through an above pulldown, this changes the 5 JS charts. The initial page load is always OK, but the page crashes whenever $DUT_Select$ is changed

1 Solution

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This was fixed in Sideview Utils 3.2.7, released June 2014.

Since then it's been possible to multiplex JSCharts, and the Shotgun Reporting app makes considerable use of this. If you're seeing this problem on a Sideview Utils version older than 3.2.7, upgrade to the latest. If you're seeing this on 3.2.7 or later, contact Sideview!

View solution in original post

0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This was fixed in Sideview Utils 3.2.7, released June 2014.

Since then it's been possible to multiplex JSCharts, and the Shotgun Reporting app makes considerable use of this. If you're seeing this problem on a Sideview Utils version older than 3.2.7, upgrade to the latest. If you're seeing this on 3.2.7 or later, contact Sideview!

0 Karma

wklee990

I'm seeing the same issue too.
The multiplexer module works well with table module, but when use with JSChart, the instability will persist.
Hope there is a solution on this soon. The multiplexer module works great for dynamic changes from upstream selection.

The Error message i got on Firefox is the javascript plug-in stop responding(overload) and after it, the page will hang.

0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What happens when you go to "Module Documentation > Advanced Modules > The Multiplexer Module > Using Multiplexer with Pager"? There are multiplexed JSChart module on that page. If it's OK in that view, but not in yours, can you send me your view XML?

Also try manually going to the view en-US/app/sideview_utils/testcases_for_multiplexer_with_charting. You wont find it in the nav, but it's there and it has a lot of different kinds of multiplexed JSCharts.

0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Can you email me the entire view? nick [at] sideviewapps.com I'll try my best to reproduce and I want to make sure I'm not overlooking something. It sounds like a transient problem in JSChart that I've never seen. The module cloning code is a pretty complex piece of engineering and getting JSChart to play nice with it took a little doing. Thanks Calvin for your patience.

0 Karma

cmak
Contributor

You are right, I changed it to 1 while debugging, so originally I had it at 5. Anyways, it still crashes. By crashing, I mean the whole webpage completely freezes, and i cannot click anything within the page. I have to close the tab to stop it. I am assuming the Javascript gets overloaded? It also crashes a few other Splunk pages as well (such as the manager page I use to launch the view). It also doesn't always happen ...

0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

OK So the first time the page loads, it multiplexes correctly and you get one JSChart per value of DUT, but on subsequent upstream changes, it "crashes". Can you elaborate on what crashes means here specifically - is there a javascript error in the error console? Also I see a head 1 in there, meaning you're only going to get one multiplexed JSChart at most; I assume you added that in after you started troubleshooting.

0 Karma

cmak
Contributor

I'm sorry. Accidentally deleted the JSChart module when I was trying to format

0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Can you try reposting your XML? There isn't actually any JSChart in there, and it looks like you're just multiplexing a Search module that has no downstream modules, and nothing will happen in that case. I think somehow your XML has not been fully posted.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...