All Apps and Add-ons

Is the Splunk App for Windows Infrastructure functional without a Domain Controller?

DotTest37
Path Finder

I need to index and search Event Logs from a few Windows 7 and 8 Desktops, but I don't use a Domain Controller.
This app has some prerequisites on the Configuration page, and it won't let me continue unless I specify AD parameters.

How can I use this app without a Domain Controller?

Dotty...

0 Karma

esix_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This a current known bug in the Windows Infra app. Should be fixed next release.

Current work around, install a domain controller with relevant AD TA's and index the data to get the data sources available.

Another option I proposed in a previous post: Install eventgen and the windows AD TA's and enable eventgen for a little bit. This should generate the required data sources, and hopefully allow the app to be installed. I havent heard back if this worked.

If you try the datagen, post the results, as that is the quickest and easiest fix.

0 Karma

DotTest37
Path Finder

Lets say I install the Domain Controller, do I need the Windows Desktops to join the Domain? because I cant do that.
Also, will a be able to remove the DC after I finished configuring the AD TA and keep indexing the Desktops?

0 Karma

malmoore
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes, you should be able to remove the DC once you get the required events to pass the data check.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...