All Apps and Add-ons

How to Ingest Splunk Server Data into Index?

hart918
Explorer

I am trying to get the Splunk server data, such as system logs and audit logs, into the same index as my other Linux servers using the Splunk Linux App.  How do I get this data ingested into my Linux Index?  So far the forums and discussion groups only refer to the Splunk software data when I'm trying to get the server data.  I have the app installed on each of my Splunk Servers in the /app folder.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The inputs.conf file is where the destination index name is specified so that is where you would tell Splunk to put the data in the "linux" index.

Verify Splunk has permission to read the monitored files.  That's the most common reason for data not showing up in Splunk.  There should be messages in _internal to that effect.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @hart918,

are you speaking of Splunk or Linux system and audit logs?

if Splunk, as @richgalloway said, they automatically are in _internal and _audit indexes.

If you're speaking of Linux system and audit logs, they usually are in the "os" index, but it must be configured, by GUI or by conf files.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

When you say "Splunk server data" are you referring to Splunk's own logs (index=_internal) or the server on which Splunk is running (/var/log)?

Which inputs have you enabled in the Splunk Linux App?

---

hart918
Explorer

I'm referring to the server data, /var/log/*.  Within the app's input.conf I have everything enabled, but when I do a search,  I don't see any log data for the server.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The inputs.conf file is where the destination index name is specified so that is where you would tell Splunk to put the data in the "linux" index.

Verify Splunk has permission to read the monitored files.  That's the most common reason for data not showing up in Splunk.  There should be messages in _internal to that effect.

---
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...