All Apps and Add-ons

Does Website Monitoring app work with FIPS 140-2 mode?

digituel

Do you know if the Website Monitoring app works with FIPS mode enabled for Splunk? The monitor worked fine until I enabled FIPS mode in Splunk. At the point FIPS was enabled, the monitor stopped logging monitors.

Website Monitoring stops working when FIPS mode is enabled

Tags (2)
0 Karma

LukeMurphey
Champion

The app generates hashes of the content which is likely failing (one of them is MD5). I believe I can make the work by disabling the hashes that are non-compliant with FIPS mode (i.e. including SHA hashes only).

I opened a ticket for this: http://lukemurphey.net/issues/1656

0 Karma

khinchliff_splu
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

According to the docs: "The FIPS module disables the use of some cryptographic algorithms in the instance of Python that Splunk software uses to run apps (such as md5 and rc4)" - if the app uses them then it is not compatible with FIPS mode.

As an aside, usually you need to enable FIPS mode at install time, rather than enabling it later.

0 Karma

khinchliff_splu
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

To elaborate... I believe that the certificates generated in FIPS mode are different, so FIPS mode should be enabled before the first startup. Enabling later may cause data not to be sent between your Splunk servers as the certificates will not be valid, you should see errors in splunkd.log.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...