All Apps and Add-ons

Does Splunk Add-on for Cisco ASA change the sourcetype for those logs then on and can it change the sourcetype for logs already indexed?

lancasterad
Engager

When you install the Splunk add-on for Cisco ASA does it change the sourcetype for those logs going forward? Also, can it change the sourcetype for logs already indexed?

0 Karma
1 Solution

jlanders
Path Finder

If I remember correctly, the props.conf file included with this app uses the "rename=" function. This is a search-time rename so if you have a sourcetype named "foo" and you created this stanza:

[foo]
rename = bar

From now on, you could search "sourcetype=bar" for ALL data indexed of the original sourcetype "foo" because it is a search-time transformation. The original sourcetype should be available in _sourcetype.

You can reference this doc: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.1.3/Admin/Propsconf

View solution in original post

jlanders
Path Finder

If I remember correctly, the props.conf file included with this app uses the "rename=" function. This is a search-time rename so if you have a sourcetype named "foo" and you created this stanza:

[foo]
rename = bar

From now on, you could search "sourcetype=bar" for ALL data indexed of the original sourcetype "foo" because it is a search-time transformation. The original sourcetype should be available in _sourcetype.

You can reference this doc: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.1.3/Admin/Propsconf

JimDeich
Path Finder

I don't find that rename clause in the app.

$ pwd
/home/jimd/splunkTAasa/Splunk_TA_cisco-asa/default
$ grep -i rename props.conf
$

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...