All Apps and Add-ons

DB Connect 3.1.4 Error "unable_to_load_checkpoint" when configured via CLI

rajanala
Path Finder

Version: DB Connect 3.1.4
Issue: DB Connections and DB Inputs created via GUI works fine with no issues.
When new connections and inputs are added via CLI, the checkpoint for new inputs are not created and results in error.
ERROR c.s.d.s.dbinput.task.DbInputCheckpointRepository - action=unable_to_load_checkpoint

0 Karma
1 Solution

harsmarvania57
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi,

Can you please let us know, how you configured via CLI ? If you modified db_inputs.conf directly then it will not create checkpoint file automatically. When you create new input via GUI, it will create initial checkpoint file with value you provided during setup.

View solution in original post

harsmarvania57
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi,

Can you please let us know, how you configured via CLI ? If you modified db_inputs.conf directly then it will not create checkpoint file automatically. When you create new input via GUI, it will create initial checkpoint file with value you provided during setup.

rajanala
Path Finder

Modified db_inputs.conf directly.
And yes, that is exactly my question. Why is the checkpoint created when configured via GUI and why not when edited via CLI ?

0 Karma

harsmarvania57
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

When you create DB Input via GUI, it will hit DB Connect REST API (These are not publicly documented) which will create checkpoint file, however that is not the case when you modify config file directly.

0 Karma

danielbb
Motivator

@harsmarvania57 

Is it possible to define the data input in the back-end including the checkpoint information?

0 Karma

harsmarvania57
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can create checkpoint file manually but I'll not recommend it.

0 Karma

danielbb
Motivator

@harsmarvania57

Are you saying that when creating new Data Inputs, I should define the configurations from the UI?

0 Karma

harsmarvania57
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes use the GUI, there are REST APIs but those are not documented by Splunk so I'll not use those as well.

0 Karma

danielbb
Motivator

We did exactly that over the weekend (after finding out that the back-end config doesn't work) and the problem is the initial load from the DB, that in some cases took hours, and we need to do couple of hundreds of DBs soon.

0 Karma

rajanala
Path Finder

That explains the issue. Thanks for the information.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...