All Apps and Add-ons

Can you help me with a Syslog Issue in the FireEye Add-on for Splunk Enterprise?

SplunkNewbie18

Hi,

The Splunk setup in my environment contains Heavy Forwarder (HF) before search time. I'm currently using version 3.0.9 Fireeye Add-on from Splunkbase in the below URL and have it installed in HF & Search Head (SH) to help parse those Fireeye Syslog Events:
https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/1904/

However, in some of the raw events, the header got stripped off and only ingested those in { } as the "_raw" events in Splunk when i search for events in the GUI. This resulted in Splunk not ingesting the complete set of raw events (from header till the end of string). Was looking through the stanzas in transforms.conf and observed this particular regex which is trying to extract those in the { }.

Version 3.0.9
REGEX = (?s).?fenotify.?(?{.*})
FORMAT = $1
DEST_KEY = _raw

Version 3.1.1
REGEX = (?s).?fenotify.?({.*})
FORMAT = $1
DEST_KEY = _raw

Apparently both versions seems to have this "stripping header" stanza which may be the main cause of why my Fireeye Syslog events got truncated. Any recommendation to solve this issue? Does upgrading to the latest version (from 3.0.9 to 3.1.1) help to resolve the issue? Or can i just remove those stanzas in my current version? And, if I do that, will there be any consequences?

Thanks is advance!

0 Karma

SplunkNewbie18

Sorry, correction on the version's REGEX:

Version 3.0.9
REGEX = (?s).?fenotify.?(?{.*})
FORMAT = $1
DEST_KEY = _raw

Version 3.1.1
REGEX = (?s).?fenotify.?({.*})
FORMAT = $1
DEST_KEY = _raw

0 Karma

SplunkNewbie18

@TonyLeeVT hi tony...would be of great help if you could assist as well as the splunkbase add-on was developed by you i suppose 🙂 many thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...