All Apps and Add-ons

500 Error on CentOS with F1 App

mbuschle
Explorer

So, I'm a Splunk fan, as well as a Formula 1 fan. I saw the blog posts about the F1 app and decided it might be a good way to get my son interested in Splunk, etc. So, I installed Splunk on a CentOS 7 system, then started working to install the F1 app from GitHub. Splunk itself is working as expected. However, when I attempt to launch the F1 app, I get a 500 error. The error lists the typical 'look in web_service.log' message, but there's really nothing there.

It's been quite a while since I've had to actually do any admin work on a Splunk system. I can't seem to find the issue. I think it could be rights or port related. I'm not sure that I need to add port 514, for UDP, before I can run the app.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Karma
1 Solution

mattymo
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hey mbuschle!

I am also running the app on centos and ran into issues with the Addon. I reported them to Jon and he has updated the github. Try removing, cloning again and re-installing. It is working for me now.

Side note, once you get it installed and create an input, I manually updated the inputs.conf to set the sourcetype to f1:telemetry. I have let Jon know this as well as there is no option for setting the sourcetype in the input GUI, or props that rename the sourcetype, thus the extractions wont hit.

Here is the inputs.conf I ended up with in my lab:

[f1_2016_ps4_udp_listener://f1_2016_ps4_udp_listener]
index = f1
sourcetype = f1:telemetry
interval = -1
opt_port = 2514
opt_source = f1:udp:2514
- MattyMo

View solution in original post

0 Karma

mattymo
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hey mbuschle!

I am also running the app on centos and ran into issues with the Addon. I reported them to Jon and he has updated the github. Try removing, cloning again and re-installing. It is working for me now.

Side note, once you get it installed and create an input, I manually updated the inputs.conf to set the sourcetype to f1:telemetry. I have let Jon know this as well as there is no option for setting the sourcetype in the input GUI, or props that rename the sourcetype, thus the extractions wont hit.

Here is the inputs.conf I ended up with in my lab:

[f1_2016_ps4_udp_listener://f1_2016_ps4_udp_listener]
index = f1
sourcetype = f1:telemetry
interval = -1
opt_port = 2514
opt_source = f1:udp:2514
- MattyMo
0 Karma

mbuschle
Explorer

That did it. I had reinstalled via the zip file a few times, but that didn't fix it. Thanks.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Ingest Actions: Filter, Mask, Route, Repeat

WATCH NOW Ingest Actions (IA) is the best new way to easily filter, mask and route your data in Splunk® ...

Splunk Forwarders and Forced Time Based Load Balancing

Splunk customers use universal forwarders to collect and send data to Splunk. A universal forwarder can send ...

NEW! Log Views in Splunk Observability Dashboards Gives Context From a Single Page

Today, Splunk Observability releases log views, a new feature for users to add their logs data from Splunk Log ...