Alerting

alert_actions.conf suddenly appears at SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/[appname]/local/

mufthmu
Path Finder

Hi Fellow Splunkers,

I have an issue with triggered alerts failing to send email with authentication error (I use smtp). I found out that alert_actions.conf was mysteriously created under SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/[appname]/local/ with below stanza:

[email]
auth_password = encrypted value

This value takes precedence over system/local/alert_actions.conf and is the main reason why emails are not getting sent. These issues only come in my custom apps, search app is working as it should.

This is a splunk cluster with 3 search heads, this issue is seen in every search head and local/alert_actions.conf is always automatically created even after I deleted them. Note that I always push changes from master node, so I can't explain why is there a file in my custom apps under /local/ directories.

Any input would be appreciated, thank you!

Labels (2)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...