Alerting

How to troubleshoot why a scheduled alert suddenly stopped working?

Abilan1
Path Finder

Hi ,

I have a scheduled alert which runs every 5 minutes and it was working perfectly (triggered e-mail) till last week. Not sure what happened. It stopped working from yesterday. We have had the error message in the log, but Splunk didn't trigger the alert for this one. When I checked the Splunk scheduler log, I see the below error message.

ERROR SavedSplunker - savedsearch_id="nobody;search;Hungalert", message="Unable to read the job status.". No actions executed

Please let me know the reason for this issue and how to avoid this in future.

Thanks!

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Check your index=_internal log_level=warn* OR log_level=err* for any other error messages. I just helped someone over here with same issue:

https://answers.splunk.com/answering/400691/view.html

It may also be possible that this is caused by having too many concurrent searches, and a lot of other possible causes too. It's good to look for other errors in the logs and correct them all.

0 Karma

Abilan1
Path Finder

Hi ,

I don't see any related errors in the splunkd.log using the below search.

index=_internal log_level=warn* OR log_level=err*

When I checked the scheduler.log, I see that job is getting triggered as per the schedule time, but it is not picking up the results. I see in the scheduler.log for that alert, result_count=0.

How to find in case if this is related to concurrent search. is there any other log we have?

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You don't see any RELATED errors or don't see ANY errors? Try to fix ALL errors you have starting with the most common error you see.

0 Karma

jmallorquin
Builder

Hi,

What version of splunk are you using?

0 Karma

Abilan1
Path Finder

I am using splunk 6.2

0 Karma

Abilan1
Path Finder

Can anyone please help me on this?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...