Alerting

How to create an Alert when ping UP and DOWN?

jack1
Loves-to-Learn Everything

My i know how to set ping how many times fail or success , then only it will send alert?

Currently I was told tht it only ping 1 time in 5mins, then it will send out alert if DOWN. which I think 1 time ping is too short to conclude the IP is DOWN. I wanted to change it to 5 times ping , if 100% only consider IP is DOWN. May I know how to do it ?

Network State Change Rule.png

Labels (1)
0 Karma

jack1

Hi, 

I dont understand. you mean add this 2 cmd after existing one? or how shld it be?

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Start with a search which finds when you have at least 5 consecutive down flags

| streamstats count reset_on_change=true by flag
| where flag="DOWN" AND count>=5
0 Karma

jack1

Is it like this?

jack1_0-1655038082016.png

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Start with

index=ping
| eval flag=if(packet_loss=100,"DOWN","UP")
| streamstats count reset+on_change=true by flag
| where count >= 5 AND flag="DOWN"
0 Karma

jack1

Sorry i nvr do splunk before.  where do i start copy the line frm current alert settings? so tht I will know which branch is DOWN , at wht date/time, with the comments as well.something like below. All info is frm the lookup file.

WAN Site: Palo Alto US Cct:11654483  

16 Jun 2022 17:04:40 - WAN UP

May I knw how to link this to the lookup file? It has all the IP and branch name, location, cct id, etc.

Currently the ping is set to 5 (original is 1), interval=300s but thereafter only received UP but no DOWN alert  

jack1_2-1655379486224.jpeg

May i also knw how shld the time range and cron expression be configured for every 300s(5 ping)?

jack1_3-1655379636334.png

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...