Alerting

Alert if any forwarder stops sending

au_chrismor
Explorer

I want to extend the ideas for "Send an alert if machine x" stops sending data, and build the "A forwarder has gone away" alert

How can I write an alert that tells me if we have received no data from an individual machine, without having to specify the machine. I've successfully used the answers here for single machines, but I want to make it universal, and not have to either change the search or add a new one every time I start to monitor a new machine.

The problem is that all the answers I have found here (admittedly, there may be some I missed) need you to identify the machine. What I want to use for example is the absence of Windows Security Log events to find that a Windows Forwarder has dropped off, similarly Syslog on my Solaris machines, but without naming the host.

Any suggestions?

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

Try the Splunk Deployment Monitor App, it has built in Forwarder Monitoring and Alerting :

• Missing Forwarder(s)
  • Quiet Forwarder(s)
  • Forwarder(s) Sending Less Than Expected
  • Forwarder(s) Sending More Than Expected

View solution in original post

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

Try the Splunk Deployment Monitor App, it has built in Forwarder Monitoring and Alerting :

• Missing Forwarder(s)
  • Quiet Forwarder(s)
  • Forwarder(s) Sending Less Than Expected
  • Forwarder(s) Sending More Than Expected

au_chrismor
Explorer

Thanks Damien.

I found the answer in DM just as your reply came in... Appreciate it

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...