I have found the reason behind this. My splunk instance is having search heads in a cluster. There are 3 searchheads in the cluster . So when the eventgen & the custom bundle is deployed it got deployed to all 3 search head members. By default they custom bundle app is enabled in all 3 search heads, therefore events were generated from all 3 search heads. Hence those 3 duplicate records!!! It wasnt obvious to me until I changed the host to "localhost" instead of the custom value that I had before (test_host2)! So to resolve this issue, once the app is deployed into the SH members, i manually logged into the 2 search head servers and disabled the custom app locally in them and left it enabled in only one of them and then did a debug refresh . Happy days afterwards!!!
... View more