Splunk Search

why per_minute(), per_second() Functions don't work with Stats and streamstats command ??

NPR
Path Finder

i see this in Search Reference manuel
Stats functions options

stats-function
Syntax:avg() | c() | count() | dc() | distinct_count() | first() | last() | list() |
max() | median() | min() | mode() | p<in>() | perc<int>() | per_day() |
per_hour() | per_minute() | per_second() | range() | stdev() | stdevp() |
sum() | sumsq() | values() | var() | varp()

Description:Functions used with the stats command. Each time you
invoke the statscommand, you can use more than one function;
however, you can only use one by clause. For a complete list of stats
functions with descriptions and examples, see "Functions for stats, chart,
and timechart".

but when i run per_minute(), per_second() Functions with Stats and streamstats commands.
it isn't work why ?
any idea?

thank.

0 Karma
1 Solution

stephane_cyrill
Builder

Hi everyone,

at the page 145 in splunk 6.2.2 SearchReference.pdf, where you saw STATS-FUNCTION, as NPR post up there, stats-function there is in the general sense of statistics. all that function are not precisely for STATS COMMAND.

at the end of that paragraph you have a link. "Functions for stats,chart,and timechart" this link redirect us at page 56 of the same document.
There we have a table that list Functions and that commands with which we use them.

It is clearly mention there that functions, per_day(), per_hour(), per_minute(),per_second() are use only with the COMMAND TIMECHART.

SO YOU CAN UNDERSTAND THAT IN SPLUNK FOR THE MOMENT WE DO NOT USE these functions with stats command.

see the manual here:

docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.2.2/SearchReference/Whatsinthismanual

View solution in original post

chimell
Motivator

Hi NPR
per_second() function is easily applicable to timechart command .Therefore , you can use a subsearch using timechart and per_second() function before use streamstats command.

Mean that you can use timechart and streamstats Or stats command in the same request , you make sure that timechart command come before streamstats or stats command in your request : look at an example

index="_introspection" | timechart per_second(data.localTime) as X| streamstats current=t global=f window=2 range(X) as X1

you can follow this link for more information

http://answers.splunk.com/answers/228525/how-to-use-the-per-second-function-with-streamstat.html#ans...

NPR
Path Finder

thank but i want with Stats and streamstats command
and thank olso for the link.

0 Karma

stephane_cyrill
Builder

Hi everyone,

at the page 145 in splunk 6.2.2 SearchReference.pdf, where you saw STATS-FUNCTION, as NPR post up there, stats-function there is in the general sense of statistics. all that function are not precisely for STATS COMMAND.

at the end of that paragraph you have a link. "Functions for stats,chart,and timechart" this link redirect us at page 56 of the same document.
There we have a table that list Functions and that commands with which we use them.

It is clearly mention there that functions, per_day(), per_hour(), per_minute(),per_second() are use only with the COMMAND TIMECHART.

SO YOU CAN UNDERSTAND THAT IN SPLUNK FOR THE MOMENT WE DO NOT USE these functions with stats command.

see the manual here:

docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.2.2/SearchReference/Whatsinthismanual

ngatchasandra
Builder

Hi,
I think this is a mistake ! When you execute the commands streamstats and stats with per_minute functions per_second and per_day , splunk does not see them as the functions but as a argrument ! Because this is what is noted when execute the search. Error in 'stats' command: The argument 'per_day(bytes)' is invalid.

But this is work very fine with timechart command because timechart command can split results in time slot. Like follow for example:

index=_internal|timechart per_day(bytes)
0 Karma

NPR
Path Finder

thank but i want with Stats and streamstats command

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...