Splunk Search

variable fields - re-arrange (tranpose) variables fields into one field for data aggregation

guilmxm
Influencer

Hi,

I have data indexed with variable fields (csv data indexed as csv by Splunk) such as:

timestamp device1 device2 device3 device4
XXXXXXXX        X       X       X       X

Where X are timestamps and values.

I would like to transform these data with Splunk to get:

timestamp device value
XXXXXXXXX device1    X
XXXXXXXXX device2    X
XXXXXXXXX device3    X
XXXXXXXXX device4    X

Currently, I can manipulate data to stats and chart them using:

| timechart max(*) As *

Then i can filter by fields name or doing any other operation.

But i would like to aggregate them (sum) by time interval, easy when devices are arranged in uniq fields, more complicated with variable fields i can't know in advance.

I found a way to stats count/max or whatever by device, but i can't get to include time:

<search stuff>
| stats max(*) As *
| transpose
| rex device=device^count\((?<column>.*?)\)
| rename column as device | rename "row 1" as value

I would have like the same kind of stuff to include the timestamp with the goal to re-arrange the data

Thank you very much for any help !

1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

See if this works (from your stats max query in the question)

<search stuff> | eval MaxTime=_time | stats max(*) As *
| transpose  | appendpipe [| where column="MaxTime" | rename "row 1" as Timestamp] | eventstats max(Timestamp) as Timestamp | where like(column,"device%") | convert ctime(Timestamp) | rename column as device, "row 1" as value | table Timestamp, device, value

View solution in original post

guilmxm
Influencer

For people having the same requirement of re-arranging data with multiple arbitrary fields, 2 solutions answered to it, thanks to somesoni2 and madscient:

1. using eventstat:

| transpose  | appendpipe [| where column="MaxTime" | rename "row 1" as Timestamp] | eventstats max(Timestamp) as Timestamp | where like(column,"device%") | convert ctime(Timestamp) | rename column as device, "row 1" as value | table Timestamp, device, value

Works great

2. Simpler solution using untable

<search stuff> | stats max(*) As * by _time | untable _time device value | stats max(value) as value by device

Works great

guilmxm
Influencer

Thanks to Nick !

0 Karma

guilmxm
Influencer

Yes it is, this works incredibly great!

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

This is (2nd solution) amazing. Good to learn a new command. Thanks

somesoni2
Revered Legend

See if this works (from your stats max query in the question)

guilmxm
Influencer

Hi somesoni2,

Many thanks for your answer ! And i confirm this works great 🙂

I had an another solution (thanks to to madscient) using untable which is a little bit more simple and works great too, i'll comment this post with both solutions

But really thank you for this!

alterdego
Path Finder

Your example, and the result you are looking, for is almost the exact example (#3) used in the Search Reference manual for the mvexpand command.

Please take a look:
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/SearchReference/Mvexpand

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

what version of Splunk are your using ? In the example for mvexpand, the rex command will not work for your data but , if you're on Splunk 6.x, then rex functionality can be achieved by foreach.

0 Karma

guilmxm
Influencer

If you have any idea how, don't hesitate please 🙂

I'm quite bad with mvexpand, multikv, makekv and so on... and i often have the same kind of need without being able as for now to manage it.. which drives me crasy !

0 Karma

guilmxm
Influencer

Hi alterdego,

Thanks a lot for your answer, i think too this should do the trick.

The #3 is little bit different from my data, my fields are arbitrary (and i can't know them in advance), like:

timestamp 00:45:ER 00:76:23 (csv header)
06/16/2014,00:00:00 0 0 (timestamp + value for each corresponding field)

I'm trying to adapt the example to my case...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...