payton_tayvion
Path Finder

I'm currently trying to use the results of my eval fields in my base search 

For example, I would like for my search to be

index=rapid7 sourcetype=rapid7:nexpose:vuln vuln_age > 30 ratings=high

is there a way that I can do this?

Here's the current  code:

index=rapid7 sourcetype=rapid7:nexpose:vuln
| eval p_date=strptime(vulnerability_date_published, "%Y-%m-%d")
| eval t_date=now()
| eval vuln_age= round((t_date - p_date)/86400)
| eval ratings=case(vulnerability_cvss3_score>0 AND vulnerability_cvss3_score<=3.9, "Low",vulnerability_cvss3_score>3.9 AND vulnerability_cvss3_score<=6.9, "Medium", vulnerability_cvss3_score>6.9 AND vulnerability_cvss3_score<=8.9, "High", vulnerability_cvss3_score > 8.9, "Critical")

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

payton_tayvion
Path Finder

Thanks everyone I was able to find a solution. The search command did exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the replies everyone 

View solution in original post

0 Karma

payton_tayvion
Path Finder

Thanks everyone I was able to find a solution. The search command did exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the replies everyone 

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It's not possible to use a field before it exists.  You can reformat the query like this:

index=rapid7 sourcetype=rapid7:nexpose:vuln (vulnerability_cvss3_score>6.9 AND vulnerability_cvss3_score<=8.9)
| eval t_date=now()
| eval ratings=case(vulnerability_cvss3_score>0 AND vulnerability_cvss3_score<=3.9, "Low",vulnerability_cvss3_score>3.9 AND vulnerability_cvss3_score<=6.9, "Medium", vulnerability_cvss3_score>6.9 AND vulnerability_cvss3_score<=8.9, "High", vulnerability_cvss3_score > 8.9, "Critical")

or use a macro like this:

index=rapid7 sourcetype=rapid7:nexpose:vuln `high_cvss`
| eval t_date=now()
| eval ratings=case(vulnerability_cvss3_score>0 AND vulnerability_cvss3_score<=3.9, "Low",vulnerability_cvss3_score>3.9 AND vulnerability_cvss3_score<=6.9, "Medium", `high_cvss`, "High", vulnerability_cvss3_score > 8.9, "Critical")

where the macro high_cvss is defined as "(vulnerability_cvss3_score>6.9 AND vulnerability_cvss3_score<=8.9)".

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

maybe this is what you are looking for: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.5/Knowledge/definecalcfields

r. Ismo

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...