Splunk Search

use Rex to extract second IP address from message text

ikcresswell
Explorer

I am trying to extract the IP address from the field below, I can extract the first but am not sure how to extract the second. Field is as follows:

May 28 08:22:24 10.10.1.254 17361045: May 28 12:22:23.832: %FW-6-DROP_PKT: Dropping udp session 39.118.56.69:47069 10.10.1.179:43611 on zone-pair CSM_Outside-Inside_1 class class-default due to DROP action found in policy-map with ip ident 0

I use:
host=10.10.1.254 facility=FW mnemonic=DROP_PKT | rex field=_raw "session (?[^:]*)"
to extract the first IP (39.118.56.69) but am not sure how to extract the second (10.10.1.179), I would also like to extract the port numbers if possible.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Assuming the first and second IP addresses are always separated by white space, this should work for you.

rex field=_raw "session (?<source_ip>[^:]*):((?<source_port>\d+)\s(?<second_ip>[^:]*):(?<second_port>\d+)"
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

aholzer
Motivator

This should work for you:

rex field=_raw "session (?<source_ip>[^:]*?):([^\s]*?)\s(?<second_ip>[^:]*?):"

If you want to capture the ports as well. You can try this:

rex field=_raw "session (?<source_ip>[^:]*?):(?<source_port>[^\s]*?)\s(?<second_ip>[^:]*?):(?<second_port>[^\s]*?)\s"

Hope this helps.

0 Karma

theouhuios
Motivator

Try this

rex field=_raw "(?<IP_Address>\d+\.\d+\.\d+\.\d+)\:"
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Assuming the first and second IP addresses are always separated by white space, this should work for you.

rex field=_raw "session (?<source_ip>[^:]*):((?<source_port>\d+)\s(?<second_ip>[^:]*):(?<second_port>\d+)"
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...