Splunk Search

understanding the transforms.conf

kteng2024
Path Finder

hi,
Can someone please explain me the below transforms.conf . I read the documentation ,but it's not clear to me .

[route-index-abc]
REGEX = (.*) ( what is the use of REGEX)
DEST_KEY = _MetaData:Index ( what is the use DEST_KEY)
FORMAT = server_application ( what is the use of FORMAT)

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

The transforms.conf entry that you've is applied to each event of a sourcetype, source or host.

• The REGEX is a regular expression that tries to find a match from the value of SOURCE_KEY (an attribute which has default value as _raw, your raw data). A dot means it'll match everything (the transform will be done for all events).
  • DEST_KEY - it provides a Splunk field (that are available at the time of parsing) where the transformation will be applied.
  • FORMAT - it's a value that will be applied to value of DEST_KEY

So basically what it's doing here is, for each event, change the value of index (represented as _MetaData:Index in transforms.conf) with value server_application, regardless of what it's original value was.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...