Splunk Search

split transactions in exported excel

user93
Communicator

Hello,

I have a list of strings that are more meaningful when grouped and viewed together by time. This is great and easy to do in Splunk with the transaction command. However, I need to export this to excel. In the export, the transaction becomes a single line and I want to mimic the format to make the groups easy to read.

I get this is probably more of an excel question, but maybe there is some Splunk pre-formatting I can do to make it easier like separate the individual items in a transaction by commas, or something similar.

Example of transaction output:

I need help | categoryA | _time
help

help me please

what is splunk | category b | _time
splunk
help please splunk

Example of excel extract

I need help help help me please | cat a | _time
what is splunk splunk help please splunk | cat b | time

I want to wrap the values in the excel cell, but I have nothing to note when to wrap and I don't actually know how to wrap a cell.

0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion
| makeresults
| eval msg=split("I need help,help,help me please",","), category="category_A"
| appendpipe [ eval msg=split("what is splunk,splunk,help please splunk",","), category="category_B"]
| rename COMMENT as "this is sample you provide"
| rename COMMENT as "please check the result. from here, the logic"
| eval msg=mvjoin(msg,",")
| fields msg,category,_time
| table msg,category,_time

Outputing the CSV, please use fields and table for delete extra fields.

0 Karma

user93
Communicator

@to4kawa

Hey! Thank you, but this doesn't really fit my needs. I think I confused you with my example.

I need any combination of strings, which are actually separate events now grouped in the transaction, to have a comma after the event to give me a way to wrap them line by line in Excel

The category, I want nothing to do with that, they are just another field value that is important to show in the end report

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...