Splunk Search

sorting names and couting

daisymedina101

Hi, new to Splunk I'm trying to sort out names from my logs files as such

so far I have added a new filed "names" but it just gives me all the names of the logs mixed up as such:

cat_01
mouse10
cat_03
Dog_08
mouse10
Dog_60
mouse40
cat_02
mouse70
Dog_50

I'd like to sort these out as such I'm also using one query to search for these logs and i'd like to have a nice graph with all this info. any help would be appreciated.
cat_01
cat_02
cat_03
total= 3

Dog_08
Dog_50
Dog_60
total=3

mouse10
mouse40
total= 2

0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi daisymedina101,
to sort values in a field it's very easy because you can use the sort command (see https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/SearchReference/Sort ).
But I think that you're asking something more.

If I correctly understood, you want to group your values and count the different values for each group, is it correct?

If this is your need, you should find a rule to classify your data (e.g. the string before underscore).
In this case you can use eval command to assign a category to them, something like this:

index=my_index
| rex field=my_field "^(?<category>\w*)_"
| eval category=if(isnull(category),"Others",category)
| stats values(my_field) AS my_field dc(my_field) AS total BY category

Ciao.
Giuseppe

View solution in original post

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi daisymedina101,
to sort values in a field it's very easy because you can use the sort command (see https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/SearchReference/Sort ).
But I think that you're asking something more.

If I correctly understood, you want to group your values and count the different values for each group, is it correct?

If this is your need, you should find a rule to classify your data (e.g. the string before underscore).
In this case you can use eval command to assign a category to them, something like this:

index=my_index
| rex field=my_field "^(?<category>\w*)_"
| eval category=if(isnull(category),"Others",category)
| stats values(my_field) AS my_field dc(my_field) AS total BY category

Ciao.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

daisymedina101

Giuseppe,

Awesome this worked!! thanks for this help!!

0 Karma

daisymedina101

If I wanted to do a simple Count the total by just one category would I use

stats count as Total

Example: field1 gives me these values in GB
total:

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...