Splunk Search

search requires stitching together two distinct events from a single sourcetype

danesh_shah

i require some assistance in my search query where i need to search a mail log to extract the highest recipients by message size based upon a unique common id.

as i am able to search events by the size field to see the values of message size from the senders addresses but i am unable to search this by the recipients address including to show the unique ID.

so i need to combine these two events first showing the message size and then the recipient addresses based upon a common queue ID. i know the stats function is more beneficial than the transaction command as it is costly. Also i believe i am able to chart it through xyseries but i'm unsure how to put this together as i have tried a various types of stats commands trying to put this together but i have a strong feeling i'm not executing it correctly

0 Karma

renjith_nair
Legend

@danesh_shah ,

Did you try stats values(recipient ) as recipient ,values(senders) as senders,max(message_size) by unqiue_id

If its not working, would it be possible to share some sample events after masking any sensitive data?

Happy Splunking!
0 Karma

danesh_shah

Hi - Thanks, how can i produce this as a chart to show each value i.e. message size, unique ID and the recipient address?

0 Karma

danesh_shah

i can visualise this as a chart but it only displays the chart over unique id by message size i need to show the recipients also

0 Karma

danesh_shah

index=maildata sourcetype="email_log"
| stats values(from) as senders ,values(to) as recipients,max(size) as "Message SIze" by qid
| rename qid as "Unique ID"
| sort 10 -"Message Size"

0 Karma

renjith_nair
Legend

@danesh_shah , it will be helpful if you have a sample events for both sender and recipient event. Please mask any sensitive information if needed

Happy Splunking!
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...