Splunk Search

search on multiple indexes

avitallange
Explorer

Hi,

I have two indexes: index1, index2.

index1 has a field 'Message' which index2 doesn't have.
There are duplicated messages that I'd like to dedup by |dedup Message.

I'd like to find the records with text "TextToFind" across the 2 indexes but not to get multiple records for the duplicated 'Message' field.

• index=index1 TextToFind returns 94 results (appear in field Message)
  • index=index2 TextToFind returns 8 results (appear in field Content)
  • (index=index1) OR (index=index2) TextToFind returns 102 results

(index=index1) OR (index=index2) TextToFind | dedup Message returns 2 results from index1 only although the TextToFind appears on index2 as well (in field Content).

Could you please fix my query?

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

samhughe
Path Finder

Is the text you are looking for in index1's message field or is it in a different field?
if so you could use the eval and coalesce functions (http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/5.0.3/SearchReference/CommonEvalFunctions) to put them into a new, single field and then dedup. If the text you are looking for isn't in index1's Message field not sure of your best option other than some of the join/subsearch type functions

View solution in original post

samhughe
Path Finder

Is the text you are looking for in index1's message field or is it in a different field?
if so you could use the eval and coalesce functions (http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/5.0.3/SearchReference/CommonEvalFunctions) to put them into a new, single field and then dedup. If the text you are looking for isn't in index1's Message field not sure of your best option other than some of the join/subsearch type functions

avitallange
Explorer

It worked with the keepempty=true, thank you!

0 Karma

samhughe
Path Finder

Based on your additional comments, try:
(index=index1) OR (index=index2) TextToFind | eval newField=coalesce(Message,Content) | dedup newField

Assuming there are no duplicates of 'Content' you want to keep.

Or probably the better option is to use the keepempty=true parameter for dedup: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/5.0.3/SearchReference/Dedup

avitallange
Explorer

Yes, the test I am looking for is in index1's Message field.
It also appears on index2's Content field.
I updated my question above.
Your help is welcome!

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

If your first search works but your second search returns 0 results, that's because there is no field called Message in your search.

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

See hamhughe's answer which I think is spot on.

0 Karma

avitallange
Explorer

I have a field called Message, I see in the left pane with many other fields. You are right, I got results but I still can't query what I want. I updated my question above.
Your help is welcome!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...