Splunk Search

rolling hot db to warm in 6.2: getting Unknown search command 'oldsearch'

xueshanf
Explorer

I am following this documentation: http://wiki.splunk.com/Community:BestPracticesForBackingUp to try to force a hot-to-warm db rolling. The splunk version is 6.2.2, free version.

./splunk search '| oldsearch !++cmd++::roll' -auth splunk

Unknown search command 'oldsearch'

Any ideas what I am missing?

Thanks!

Xueshan

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ChrisG
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Try using the information in the Back up indexed data topic in the official documentation. It includes the CLI command for manually rolling hot to warm, as well as information about why you might not want to.

View solution in original post

ChrisG
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Try using the information in the Back up indexed data topic in the official documentation. It includes the CLI command for manually rolling hot to warm, as well as information about why you might not want to.

xueshanf
Explorer

The hot to warm rolling commands in that documentation works. I am running Splunk in a docker container and need to run a backup job to put databases in a S3 bucket. There seems a lot pros and cons to consider if and when a hot db should be included in the backup plan. The documentation It's very helpful. Thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...