Splunk Search

rex operation -- Regex: syntax error in subpattern name (missing terminator)

apalmier

Hi,

I'm continuously receiving the error Regex: syntax error in subpattern name (missing terminator) when attempting to search with a 'rex' operation.  I've gone through several different message boards and nothing seems to resolve the issue.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

My intention is to grab the "Http-Method" value from the raw event.

Search:

[Search...] | rex field=_raw "Method: (?<Http-Method>.*)"

Sample Event:

2021-10-28 10:55:39,505 1109468116 [http-bio-8443-exec-9] INFO o.a.c.i.LoggingInInterceptor - Inbound Message ----------------------------
ID: 41087
Address: [...Sensitive Information Removed...]

Encoding: ISO-8859-1
Http-Method: POST
Content-Type: application-xml

Headers: [...Sensitive Information Removed...]

Labels (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The hyphen (-) character is not allowed in field names.  Try this

| rex field=_raw "Method: (?<HttpMethod>\w*)"
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

https://www.pcre.org/current/doc/html/pcre2pattern.html#SEC16

In PCRE2, a capture group can be named in one of three ways: (?<name>...) or (?'name'...) as in Perl, or (?P<name>...) as in Python. Names may be up to 32 code units long. When PCRE2_UTF is not set, they may contain only ASCII alphanumeric characters and underscores, but must start with a non-digit. When PCRE2_UTF is set, the syntax of group names is extended to allow any Unicode letter or Unicode decimal digit. In other words, group names must match one of these patterns:

^[_A-Za-z][_A-Za-z0-9]*\z   when PCRE2_UTF is not set
  ^[_\p{L}][_\p{L}\p{Nd}]*\z  when PCRE2_UTF is set

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...