Splunk Search

rex for dynamic parttern

phamxuantung
Communicator

Hi, I have a raw log with structure like this:

TIME|FROM|TO|URL|ERROR|STATUS|ALERT

Example:

Wed Jan 6 15:10:01 2021|Department A|Department B|www.abc.com|0|Connected|Call Department C

I want to use rex to dissect them to their own fields like TIME, FROM, TO, etc... But the thing is every fields in the log are dynamic, meaning they don't always stay the same. I pretty new to regular expression and splunk so I don't know how to operate this.

Thank you in advance.

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @phamxuantung,

if the order is always the same, it's easy:

| rex "^(?<TIME>[^\|]+)\|(?<FROM>[^\|]+)\|(?<TO>[^\|]+)\|(?<URL>[^\|]+)\|(?<ERROR>[^\|]+)\|(?<STATUS>[^\|]+)\|(?<ALERT>.+)"

You can test the regex at https://regex101.com/r/6pQnRw/1.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It depends what you mean by dynamic. Does this work for you?

| rex "(?P<TIME>[^\|]*)\|(?P<FROM>[^\|]*)\|(?P<TO>[^\|]*)\|(?P<URL>[^\|]*)\|(?P<ERROR>[^\|]*)\|(?P<STATUS>[^\|]*)\|(?P<ALERT>.*)"
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @phamxuantung,

let me understand: the problem is that the order of the fields is changing or that some field sometimes is missing?

is it possible to define some additional rules for the values or the format of the fields (e.g.: STATUS can be only "Connected" or "disconnected"; FROM and TO starts always with "Department"; etc...)?

If you can define some rules it's possible to read the fields, otherwise it's difficoult.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

phamxuantung
Communicator

Hi @gcusello,

The problem is the values of the field are changing, with varied length, The rule is the order and they separate with |. Detail of each field would be:

TIME: The time of the events.

FROM|TO: Name of the Gateway, you can think of them like people name, and they have a set of 10 values or so.

URL: The URL of the connected service - The only field that have a static start pattern ("http:"), but the content varied from a web address that end with ".com" or an IP address like 192.168.1.1.

ERROR: Between 0 and 1 whereas 0 is Connected and 1 is Error.

ALERT: always stay the same, "Call IT", but I would like to also take it out in case there might be more in the future.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @phamxuantung,

if the order is always the same, it's easy:

| rex "^(?<TIME>[^\|]+)\|(?<FROM>[^\|]+)\|(?<TO>[^\|]+)\|(?<URL>[^\|]+)\|(?<ERROR>[^\|]+)\|(?<STATUS>[^\|]+)\|(?<ALERT>.+)"

You can test the regex at https://regex101.com/r/6pQnRw/1.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @phamxuantung,

good for you.

Ciao and happy splunking.

Giuseppe

P.S.: Karma Points are appreciated by alla contributors 😉

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...