Splunk Search

rex extract field not working as expected/ miss handling ")" in regex

samlinsongguo
Communicator

Hi
I have a field with following value

16/08/2018 03:04:11 - Christian (Work notes) Remote Desktop Notes: - still unable to remote in to the machine  10/08/2018 07:11:53 - Christian (Work notes) Remote Desktop Notes: - machine is offline - 08/08/2018 01:11:53 - Sam (Work notes) Remote Desktop Notes: - machine is comprimised 

This is all job comments relate with the work and I want to get the last comment only of the job which will be the string between the first and second timestamps

- Christian (Work notes) Remote Desktop Notes: - still unable to remote in to the machine  

I tried use following regex in regex101.com, it seems works fine.

^\d{2}\/\d{2}\/\d{4}\s\d{2}:\d{2}:\d{2}\s-\s(?<lastcomment>.+?(?=\d{2}\/\d{2}\/\d{4}\s\d{2}:\d{2}:\d{2}\s-\s))

But when I put the rex into the query it does not return anything

... | rex field=work_notes "^\d{2}\/\d{2}\/\d{4}\s\d{2}:\d{2}:\d{2}\s-\s(?<lastcomment>.+?(?=\d{2}\/\d{2}\/\d{4}\s\d{2}:\d{2}:\d{2}\s-\s))" | table number lastcomment

so I am doing some testing and find the problem is splunk miss reading the ")" as if I do following query

... rex field=work_notes "^\d{2}\/\d{2}\/\d{4}\s\d{2}:\d{2}:\d{2}\s-\s(?<lastcomment>.*)" | table number lastcomment

it return as

Christian (Work notes)

instead of the whole string as what ".*" expect to do

Christian (Work notes) Remote Desktop Notes: - still unable to remote in to the machine  10/08/2018 07:11:53 - Christian (Work notes) Remote Desktop Notes: - machine is offline - 08/08/2018 01:11:53 - Sam (Work notes) Remote Desktop Notes: - machine is comprimised 

and if I put space between * and ) like below

...| rex field=work_notes "^\d{2}\/\d{2}\/\d{4}\s\d{2}:\d{2}:\d{2}\s-\s(?<lastcomment>.* )" | table number  lastcomment

it will return as

Christian (Work

Sorry for the long post, any suggestion what is going on there?

Tags (2)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This alternative regex string may work better.

^\d{2}\/\d{2}\/\d{4}\s\d{2}:\d{2}:\d{2}\s-\s(?<lastcomment>.+?)(?=\d{2}\/\d{2}\/\d{4}\s\d{2}:\d{2}:\d{2}\s-\s)

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

samlinsongguo
Communicator

the regex does not make any different.

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

I ran the following -

index=os
| eval _raw="16/08/2018 03:04:11 - Christian (Work notes) Remote Desktop Notes: - still unable to remote in to the machine  10/08/2018 07:11:53 - Christian (Work notes) Remote Desktop Notes: - machine is offline - 08/08/2018 01:11:53 - Sam (Work notes) Remote Desktop Notes: - machine is comprimised "
| rex field=_raw  "^\d{2}\/\d{2}\/\d{4}\s\d{2}:\d{2}:\d{2}\s-\s(?<lastcomment>.+?(?=\d{2}\/\d{2}\/\d{4}\s\d{2}:\d{2}:\d{2}\s-\s))"

lastcomment came out as - Christian (Work notes) Remote Desktop Notes: - still unable to remote in to the machine.

0 Karma

samlinsongguo
Communicator

Hi ddrillic
I tried run your query it got the result as you mentioned but it is not the only string in the value, so I did
eval _raw=work_notes | rex field=_raw "^\d{2}\/\d{2}\/\d{4}\s\d{2}:\d{2}:\d{2}\s-\s(?.+?(?=\d{2}\/\d{2}\/\d{4}\s\d{2}:\d{2}:\d{2}\s-\s))"
| table lastcomment
it still come out with the same problem

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...