Splunk Search

renaming search results...

DTERM
Contributor

index=MyApp | stats count by supportGroup, severity

That search provides me a list of events and the severity associated with the events. The severity comes up as 1,2,3,4 or 5. Is there a way for me to rename the severity to something helpful like

1 - low
2 - medium
3 - attention
4 - severe
5 - critical

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Ayn
Legend

If you want to do it inline in your search, you can use the eval function case:

index=MyApp 
| eval severityDesc=case(severity==1,"low",severity==2,"medium",severity==3,"attention",severity==4,"severe",severity==5,"critical") 
| stats count by supportGroup, severityDesc

You could also use a lookup table that maps the severity levels to their respective descriptions using information in a CSV file. More information on lookup tables is available in the docs: http://www.splunk.com/base/Documentation/latest/Knowledge/Addfieldsfromexternaldatasources

View solution in original post

Ayn
Legend

If you want to do it inline in your search, you can use the eval function case:

index=MyApp 
| eval severityDesc=case(severity==1,"low",severity==2,"medium",severity==3,"attention",severity==4,"severe",severity==5,"critical") 
| stats count by supportGroup, severityDesc

You could also use a lookup table that maps the severity levels to their respective descriptions using information in a CSV file. More information on lookup tables is available in the docs: http://www.splunk.com/base/Documentation/latest/Knowledge/Addfieldsfromexternaldatasources

nagarajsf
Explorer

Hello @Ayn ,

it could be work for numbers only or will work for sting value with some wild entry like below,
MANAGER contains with prefixed value prd so that I'm expecting eval like

eval name=case(MANAGER==prdehdp* OR prdplhdpx*  OR  *prdasdp*,"prd") |
    eval name1=case(X==dev* ,"dev") |
    eval name2=case(Y==QAT*,"QAT") | stats count by name,name1,name2

Thanks

0 Karma

DTERM
Contributor

This solution works great. However, does this imply that I cannot click click on the renamed severity levels now and drill into the results as I could earlier? The results are exactly what I wanted. However, nothing happens when I click on the text string.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...