Splunk Search

regex/intelligent design question

asarolkar
Builder

I have a log entry that looks like this

2009-10-02 16:52:30 To USA-XXX F 2 &STR

where XXX is the account number - I have, as you may have guessed over 800 such account numbers (1 through 800 to be specific) trapped inside these logs that I need to do a timechart and group by on.

I want to be able to extract the account number XXX from this search somehow.

I have figured out the first step (unless regex is the way to go)

i) filter all the matches using sourcetype="usalog" | search *To*STR

ii) tag on another search that somehow filters the XXX

Any suggestions ? Perhaps field extractions ?

0 Karma
1 Solution

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

Try something like :

sourcetype=usalog | rex field=_raw "To USA-(?<ac_number>\d{1,3})" | timechart count by ac_number

You can perform the Search time extraction on the account number inline using the rex command, as shown above , or save it(via Splunk Web or manual edit) in props.conf using the EXTRACT keyword in a sourcetype stanza :

[usalog] 
EXTRACT-extract_ac_num = To USA-(?<ac_number>\d{1,3})

View solution in original post

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

Try something like :

sourcetype=usalog | rex field=_raw "To USA-(?<ac_number>\d{1,3})" | timechart count by ac_number

You can perform the Search time extraction on the account number inline using the rex command, as shown above , or save it(via Splunk Web or manual edit) in props.conf using the EXTRACT keyword in a sourcetype stanza :

[usalog] 
EXTRACT-extract_ac_num = To USA-(?<ac_number>\d{1,3})

asarolkar
Builder

Thank you !

That worked like a charm !

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...