Splunk Search

rare command

mcm10285
Communicator

Hi, just curious how the rare command qualifies a field as rare.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

The least common values of a field within the timeframe. Not the rarity of the field as such.

Opposite of top

/K

View solution in original post

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

The least common values of a field within the timeframe. Not the rarity of the field as such.

Opposite of top

/K

mcm10285
Communicator

Ayn and /K, thanks for the detailed explanation. That clarifies it.

0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

To make it clear; Let's say you search for some login events in the file logins.log.

These look like this;

<time> user=bob action=login
<time> user=larry action=login
<time> user=bob action=logout
<time> user=larry action=logout
<time> user=bob action=login
<time> user=frank action=login
<time> user=angela action=logout
<time> user=larry action=logout
<time> user=bob action=logout
<time> user=larry action=login
<time> user=angela action=logout

A search for ...| rare limit=2 user would give you;

frank 1
angela 2

because they are the 2 least common users in the search results.

/k

Ayn
Legend

Like kkolb said, it's the opposite of top - "rare" values of fields are simply the ones that are more rare than the others. If you choose the 10 rarest field values, well then you will get the 10 values for that field that occurred the least in your result set. There's no hidden statistical algorithm or anything like that.

mcm10285
Communicator

/K I understood your initial answer...it is comparative to those with higher values. My curiosity is the ratio by which it decides it is rare..is it 1:1000? 1:5000? etc...does it compare with the highest count? ave count? those are the lines of my question....

0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

rare will look at all the values for a given field in the search results and return a list of the least common ones. There is no magic. "How does it say that a result is rare?". Because it occurs fewer times than other values.

It's probably easier if you start playing with it to get a better understanding. It is not a complicated command. and it's well documented.

/K

0 Karma

mcm10285
Communicator

Thanks /K and MuS...I was really asking about the value in a field, not the field itself, thanks for clarifying that...
But let's say I'm searching user-agents being used in the environment, how does it say a result is rare? is it the number of counts it appeared in the search? If it is the count, is there a value/threshold/algorithm "rare" is looking into? That is what I would like to understand.

0 Karma

MuS
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

addition to /K perfect answer, you can find a description for any search command in the docs 😉
see this one for rare: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/5.0.3/SearchReference/Rare

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...