Splunk Search

"rf" search job parameter - not working

arkadyz1
Builder

I'm submitting a search through splunklib (PythonSDK). On the output side, I need some fields which are all either aliased or calculated ones. So I figured I'd supply the rf search parameter along with the rest of the needed stuff (like "search", "exec_mode", "earliest_time", "latest_time" etc.). I made sure I connected via client.connect with the app keyword set to the application where those field extractions and aliases are defined. In addition, I tried to specify namespace search parameter, again supplying the name of the application.

No luck - the results (extracted via ResultsReader) never contained any of those fields I specified in rf. I tried both comma-separated and whitespace-separated, quoted and unquoted list (like field1, field2, ..., "field1" "field2" ... etc.) to no avail.

Anything else that I'm missing?

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

arkadyz1
Builder

Found an answer minutes after I posted the question.
rf is supposed to be a list. So the right way is 'rf': ['field1', 'field2', ... ] (in a kwargs dictionary) or rf=['field1', 'field2', ...] in the method call itself.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

arkadyz1
Builder

Found an answer minutes after I posted the question.
rf is supposed to be a list. So the right way is 'rf': ['field1', 'field2', ... ] (in a kwargs dictionary) or rf=['field1', 'field2', ...] in the method call itself.

0 Karma

srikspunk

Defaults fields like "source" ,"host" are also showing up in the response ; how can only the required fields be shown?

0 Karma

zhatsispgx
Path Finder

Hi can you share your code here? I'm running into the same issue but even when i add 'rf': ['field1', 'field2'] etc i do not see the results.

0 Karma

arkadyz1
Builder

Make sure you extract those fields first in the search string, with | fields ...

Another point to check: if the fields are not auto-extracted, and the extractions and transforms are in the apps props.conf/transforms.conf, make sure you run that search in that app's context.

For example (Python code):

kwargs_oneshot = {'earliest_time': earliest, 'latest_time': latest,'namespace': APP_NAME,'rf':['field1','field2']}

oneshotsearch_results = service.jobs.oneshot(searchquery_oneshot, **kwargs_oneshot)

See that namespace keyword argument? It's important to have if you expect the props+transforms of your app to work.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...