Splunk Search

"Capability" attribute not working in restmap.conf in Splunk.

zahrasidhpuri
Engager

The documentation for 'restmap.conf' can be obtained here: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.1/Admin/Restmapconf
The purpose of the 'capability' attribute is to restrict a user without that particular capability to hit that endpoint. I used the attribute to do the same. But I observed some anomaly here. It is as described below:

[admin_external:splunk_ta_addon_server]
handlertype = python
handlerfile = splunk_ta_addon_rh_server.py
handleractions = edit, list, remove, create
handlerpersistentmode = true
capability = admin_all_objects

As per the Splunk docs, a user without this capability should not be able to access the 'splunk_ta_addon_server' endpoint. But in this case, it allows the user to access the endpoint.

But when I added the same attribute in a different stanza, as displayed below, the attribute is working fine and it does not allow the user to access the restricted endpoint.

[admin:splunk_ta_authorized]
    match = /
    members = splunk_ta_addon_server
    capability= admin_all_objects

Can anyone please explain, why is there such a difference in the behaviour of the attribute in different stanzas? Am I missing something here?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...