Splunk Search

pipeline as first character in search query

kkkelvinkk

Hi all,

I would like to ask what is the meaning of using pipeline as first character in search query. I saw some video tutorial that will use pipeline as first character and also correlation search in enterprise security.
Thanks all.

0 Karma
1 Solution

DalJeanis
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It depends on the kind of verb you use.

If there is no pipeline character first, then the implied verb is "search". Every other verb which is a "generating command" requires the pipeline character before the verb.

http://docs.splunk.com/Splexicon:Generatingcommand

View solution in original post

0 Karma

kkkelvinkk

Below is the search query I extracted from Enterprise Security:

| tstats allow_old_summaries=true count as change_count from datamodel=Change_Analysis.All_Changes by All_Changes.user,All_Changes.change_type | drop_dm_object_name("All_Changes") | xswhere change_count from change_count_by_user_by_change_type_1d in change_analysis by change_type is above high

From my understanding, some data is search and then pipeline to "generating command". So, what is being passed as argument from the above search query ? I mean the pipeline being putting as the first character. Or it is just the correct syntax to use splunk ?

0 Karma

masonmorales
Influencer

This answer has a good explanation. I would add that a pipe must precede all search commands.

0 Karma

DalJeanis
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Mason - The phrase "all search commands" is ambiguous and might mislead some readers... especially since the implicit search at the start of any search query is the main exception...

0 Karma

masonmorales
Influencer

Splunk Docs and the Quick Reference Guide all say, "search commands", so I believe I am using proper nomenclature here.

0 Karma

DalJeanis
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It depends on the kind of verb you use.

If there is no pipeline character first, then the implied verb is "search". Every other verb which is a "generating command" requires the pipeline character before the verb.

http://docs.splunk.com/Splexicon:Generatingcommand

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...