Splunk Search

pick the last value in an array?

mitag
Contributor

(Apologies in advance since I am not even sure what question to ask and how to ask it. I'll rewrite it once I get a better idea of how to ask it.)

Grouping events via transaction correctly produces multiple results for some fields:

alt text

The problem is that certain standard functions such as color formatting (e.g. make "failed" cells red) and post-transaction filtering (e.g. search status!=success) on that field no longer work.

How do I remove the "started" value from the values in the status field? Or perhaps, how do I evaluate a new field such as last_status that is equal to the status value in the last event in the group?

(I've looked at the related questions and Splunk docs and the solutions - mostly using mvexpand and similar commands, and couldn 't figure out how to extract single values out of what appears to be an array of them.

The search:

sourcetype="linux_messages_syslog" uuid="*" 
| transaction uuid
| table _time duration eventcount status

P.S. Please assume transaction is a must and I cannot use stats instead of it.

Thank you!

0 Karma
1 Solution

to4kawa
Ultra Champion
| streamstats window=1 last(status) as last_status
| eval status=if(last_status="started",mvindex(status,0,mvcount(status)-2),status)

P.S. Please assume transaction is a must OK, I see. but,

| reverse
| stats min(_time) as _time count as eventcount range(_time) as duration list(status) as status by uuid
| eval status=if(last_status="started",mvindex(status,0,mvcount(status)-2),status)

View solution in original post

to4kawa
Ultra Champion

P.S. Please assume transaction is a must OK, I see. but,

| reverse
| stats min(_time) as _time count as eventcount range(_time) as duration list(status) as status by uuid

mitag
Contributor

Thank you! Your stats version is about twice as fast as the "transaction" one:

Transaction:

This search has completed and has returned 96 results by scanning 7,295 events in 0.936 seconds

Stats:

This search has completed and has returned 96 results by scanning 7,295 events in 0.487 seconds

Would you have an idea how to remove "started" from the table altogether?

0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion
| reverse
| rex field=status mode=sed "s/started//g"

If you do not care status order, change from list() to values() .

0 Karma

mitag
Contributor

The short answer is that mvindex (status, -1) seems to provide the last value in a field (status in this case) that contains an array of values.

To expand:

Looks like this modified search gives me the last value in a field containing an array of them:

| transaction uuid
| eval status_last = mvindex (status, -1)
| table _time duration eventcount status_last

... and I have yet to figure out how to remove "started" from the array altogether. Something like this in Python:

list(filter(lambda a: a != "started", status))
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...