Splunk Search

parsing a JSON list

rberman
Path Finder

Hi, I have a field called "catgories" whose value is in the format of a JSON array. The array is a list of one or more category paths. The paths are in the form of a comma separated list of one or more (category_name:category_id) pairs.  

Three example events have the following category data:

"categories":"[{"categ_name_a":"categ_id_a","categ_name_b":"categ_id_b","categ_name_c":"categ_id_c"},{"categ_name_m":"categ_id_m","categ_name_n":"categ_id_n"},{"categ_name_z":"categ_id_z"}]"

"categories":"[{"categ_name_d":"categ_id_d","categ_name_e":"categ_id_e"}]"

"categories":"[{"categ_name_f":"categ_id_f"}]"

For each event, I am trying to extract the list of " >> " separated category_ids in each path into a multivalued field. So using the examples above I want to get a list of category paths:

event #category_paths

"categ_id_a >> categ_id_b >> categ_id_c"

"categ_id_m >> categ_id_n"

"categ_id_z"

2"categ_id_d >> categ_id_e"
3"categ_id_f"

I have no way of knowing what the category names or ids will be or how many (category_name:category_id) pairs there will be in each category path. I also won't know how many category paths are in the categories JSON array.

I have tried a bunch of ways to get at the data (spath, json_extract, regex) but I am new to this type of nested extraction.

| makeresults
| eval categories="[{\"categ_name_a\":\"categ_id_a\",\"categ_name_b\":\"categ_id_b\",\"categ_name_c\":\"categ_id_c\"},{\"categ_name_m\":\"categ_id_m\",\"categ_name_n\":\"categ_id_n\"},{\"categ_name_z\":\"categ_id_z\"}]" | spath input=categories output=category_paths path={}

Can anyone help me?

Thanks!!!

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| makeresults
| eval categories="[{\"categ_name_a\":\"categ_id_a\",\"categ_name_b\":\"categ_id_b\",\"categ_name_c\":\"categ_id_c\"},{\"categ_name_m\":\"categ_id_m\",\"categ_name_n\":\"categ_id_n\"},{\"categ_name_z\":\"categ_id_z\"}]" | spath input=categories output=category_paths path={}

| streamstats count as event 
| mvexpand category_paths
| rex field=category_paths max_match=0 "\":\"(?<segment>[^\"]+)\""
| eval path=mvjoin(segment," >> ")
| fields - segment category_paths
| stats list(path) as category_paths by event

View solution in original post

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| makeresults

| streamstats count as event 
| mvexpand category_paths
| eval path=mvjoin(segment," >> ")
| fields - segment category_paths
| stats list(path) as category_paths by event

rberman
Path Finder

@ITWhisperer is there a way to use rex to get the multivalued path data straight out of the _raw string? I wanted to check if there were other approaches besides using spath and JSON extraction.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You could try this way without spath and mvexpand

| makeresults
| eval categories="[{\"categ_name_a\":\"categ_id_a\",\"categ_name_b\":\"categ_id_b\",\"categ_name_c\":\"categ_id_c\"},{\"categ_name_m\":\"categ_id_m\",\"categ_name_n\":\"categ_id_n\"},{\"categ_name_z\":\"categ_id_z\"}]"

| rex field=categories max_match=0 "(?<category_paths>\{[^\}]+\})"
| rex field=category_paths mode=sed "s/}/,\"x\":\"|\"}/"
| eval category_paths=mvjoin(segment," >> ")
| fields - segment
| rex field=category_paths mode=sed "s/ >> \| >> /
/g"
| rex field=category_paths mode=sed "s/ >> \|//g"

rberman
Path Finder

Thank you so much!!! I really appreciate the help!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...