Splunk Search

parsing a JSON list

rberman
Path Finder

Hi, I have a field called "catgories" whose value is in the format of a JSON array. The array is a list of one or more category paths. The paths are in the form of a comma separated list of one or more (category_name:category_id) pairs.  

Three example events have the following category data:

"categories":"[{"categ_name_a":"categ_id_a","categ_name_b":"categ_id_b","categ_name_c":"categ_id_c"},{"categ_name_m":"categ_id_m","categ_name_n":"categ_id_n"},{"categ_name_z":"categ_id_z"}]"

"categories":"[{"categ_name_d":"categ_id_d","categ_name_e":"categ_id_e"}]"

"categories":"[{"categ_name_f":"categ_id_f"}]"

For each event, I am trying to extract the list of " >> " separated category_ids in each path into a multivalued field. So using the examples above I want to get a list of category paths:

event #category_paths

"categ_id_a >> categ_id_b >> categ_id_c"

"categ_id_m >> categ_id_n"

"categ_id_z"

2"categ_id_d >> categ_id_e"
3"categ_id_f"

I have no way of knowing what the category names or ids will be or how many (category_name:category_id) pairs there will be in each category path. I also won't know how many category paths are in the categories JSON array.

I have tried a bunch of ways to get at the data (spath, json_extract, regex) but I am new to this type of nested extraction.

| makeresults
| eval categories="[{\"categ_name_a\":\"categ_id_a\",\"categ_name_b\":\"categ_id_b\",\"categ_name_c\":\"categ_id_c\"},{\"categ_name_m\":\"categ_id_m\",\"categ_name_n\":\"categ_id_n\"},{\"categ_name_z\":\"categ_id_z\"}]" | spath input=categories output=category_paths path={}

Can anyone help me?

Thanks!!!

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| makeresults
| eval categories="[{\"categ_name_a\":\"categ_id_a\",\"categ_name_b\":\"categ_id_b\",\"categ_name_c\":\"categ_id_c\"},{\"categ_name_m\":\"categ_id_m\",\"categ_name_n\":\"categ_id_n\"},{\"categ_name_z\":\"categ_id_z\"}]" | spath input=categories output=category_paths path={}

| streamstats count as event 
| mvexpand category_paths
| rex field=category_paths max_match=0 "\":\"(?<segment>[^\"]+)\""
| eval path=mvjoin(segment," >> ")
| fields - segment category_paths
| stats list(path) as category_paths by event

View solution in original post

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| makeresults

| streamstats count as event 
| mvexpand category_paths
| eval path=mvjoin(segment," >> ")
| fields - segment category_paths
| stats list(path) as category_paths by event

rberman
Path Finder

@ITWhisperer is there a way to use rex to get the multivalued path data straight out of the _raw string? I wanted to check if there were other approaches besides using spath and JSON extraction.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You could try this way without spath and mvexpand

| makeresults
| eval categories="[{\"categ_name_a\":\"categ_id_a\",\"categ_name_b\":\"categ_id_b\",\"categ_name_c\":\"categ_id_c\"},{\"categ_name_m\":\"categ_id_m\",\"categ_name_n\":\"categ_id_n\"},{\"categ_name_z\":\"categ_id_z\"}]"

| rex field=categories max_match=0 "(?<category_paths>\{[^\}]+\})"
| rex field=category_paths mode=sed "s/}/,\"x\":\"|\"}/"
| eval category_paths=mvjoin(segment," >> ")
| fields - segment
| rex field=category_paths mode=sed "s/ >> \| >> /
/g"
| rex field=category_paths mode=sed "s/ >> \|//g"

rberman
Path Finder

Thank you so much!!! I really appreciate the help!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...