Splunk Search

How to narrow down data with time?

Chris231289
Loves-to-Learn Lots

Hello, 

i am looking to narrow down my search field, i only want to search for events that happen outside of  a specific time range. I want to search for events that happen outside of 0800 to 1700

Any help would be appriceated 

Kind regards 

Labels (1)
0 Karma

yeahnah
Motivator

Hi @Chris231289 

It's useful for these types of queries to understand where the events to be filtered come from and how they look.  It also may depend on where you need to filter the data, has it been transformed into a summary already.  These things can make a difference to how you would filter out events. 

If this is standard search query then by default Splunk creates a data_hour field (from the _time field) so something like this would work...

...your base query search query...
| where ((date_hour < 8 OR (date_hour >= 17))

Maybe provide a sample of you data or your current search query if this does not work for you. 

Hope this helps.

0 Karma

Chris231289
Loves-to-Learn Lots

thank you but when i put in | where((date_hour < 8 OR (date_hour >= 17))  i get the error Error in 'where' command: The expression is malformed. Expected ).

0 Karma

yeahnah
Motivator

Looks like i missed the closing parenthesis after the 8.  Try...

| where  ((date_hour < 8 ) OR (date_hour >= 17))

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...