Splunk Search

multi-line extract help

a212830
Champion

Hi,

I'm having issues with extracting a field from multi-line events. Two samples are below. I want to grab the value of "Enterprise:". In most events, the Enterprise line is followed by "Object:", but in other events, it is the last line of the event. I am unable to extract the field properly in both scenarios. I tried the IFX, which tested ok, but when I actually ran a search against it, didn't work - it grabs everything after Enterprise, including all the "Object" stuff.

Any ideas? Also, keep in mind that the length of Enterprise will vary.

Trap Type: Authentication Failure
Specific Type: 0
Enterprise: 1.3.6.1.4.1.564.101.1

Trap Type: Vendor Specific
Specific Type: 1085
Enterprise: 1.3.6.1.4.1.3167.1.2.8
Object:1.3.6.1.4.1.3167.1.1.1 Value:3

0 Karma
1 Solution

Lowell
Super Champion

It really shouldn't matter what line Enterprise is followed by if you write a regex properly.

Try:

[\r\n]\s*Enterprise:\s*(?P<enterprise>[^\r\n]*)(?:[\r\n]|$)

I just tested the regex with a regex tool, not splunk; so if for whatever reason the above doesn't work, try this this one instead. This option enabled the regex "multiline" mode.

(?m)^\s*Enterprise:\s*(?P<enterprise>.*)$

View solution in original post

Lowell
Super Champion

It really shouldn't matter what line Enterprise is followed by if you write a regex properly.

Try:

[\r\n]\s*Enterprise:\s*(?P<enterprise>[^\r\n]*)(?:[\r\n]|$)

I just tested the regex with a regex tool, not splunk; so if for whatever reason the above doesn't work, try this this one instead. This option enabled the regex "multiline" mode.

(?m)^\s*Enterprise:\s*(?P<enterprise>.*)$

a212830
Champion

Thanks. Looks like the first one worked - second did not.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...