Splunk Search

mstats with host subquery

matthewwhittle
Explorer

Hi all!

I have this query which gets me the list of hosts

stuff stuff stuff | rename host as host_changed | dedup host_changed | table host_changed

it works beautifully.  

Now I have this other query

| mstats prestats=true avg(load.*) WHERE (`sai_metrics_indexes`) AND host=lalalala by host span=1m | timechart span=1m avg(load.longterm) AS Longterm by host

which also works perfectly

Now, what I want to do, it effectively combine the two, but I cannot seem to get the syntax right

| mstats prestats=true avg(load.*) WHERE (`sai_metrics_indexes`) AND host in [search stuff stuff stuff | rename host as host_changed | dedup host_changed | table host_changed] by host span=1m | timechart span=1m avg(load.longterm) AS Longterm by host

Thoughts?  Thanks!

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Run the subsearch by itself with "| format" appended to it.  You should get something that looks like

(host="foo" OR host="bar" OR host="baz")

Add that to the main search to get

| mstats prestats=true avg(load.*) WHERE (`sai_metrics_indexes`) AND host in (host="foo" OR host="bar" OR host="baz")

and you should see the problem.  The string returned by the subsearch makes no sense in the context of the main search.  The solution is to modify one or both searches so the result is good SPL.

| mstats prestats=true avg(load.*) WHERE (`sai_metrics_indexes`) AND 
  [search stuff stuff stuff 
  | rename host as host_changed 
  | return host_changed] by host span=1m 
| timechart span=1m avg(load.longterm) AS Longterm by host

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Run the subsearch by itself with "| format" appended to it.  You should get something that looks like

(host="foo" OR host="bar" OR host="baz")

Add that to the main search to get

| mstats prestats=true avg(load.*) WHERE (`sai_metrics_indexes`) AND host in (host="foo" OR host="bar" OR host="baz")

and you should see the problem.  The string returned by the subsearch makes no sense in the context of the main search.  The solution is to modify one or both searches so the result is good SPL.

| rename host as host_changed 
  | return host_changed] by host span=1m 

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

matthewwhittle
Explorer

Ah, but a theme off that variation works, taking the approach of modifying the mstats query

| format] by host span=1m

0 Karma

matthewwhittle
Explorer

Hi richgalloway,

Your response is very appreciated.  When I tried your suggestion below, I got the error

"Term based search is not supported"

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...