Splunk Search

map command with functions

maramel
Engager

I'm trying to use the map command and it seems to fail when I try using some functions within the subsearch (specifically: cidrmatch()). 

This search returns a correctly-populated table of all the fields except for the "matches" field which is just empty 

index=my_index earliest=-5m
| table _time src_ip
| map search=" | search index=my_other_index  earliest=-6h | rename id as id2 | dedup id2 | eval searchip=$src_ip$ | eval matches=if(cidrmatch(cidr_block, searchip), "true", "false") | table id2 searchip matches cidr_block"

Note: my goal is to join two searches but not based on a common field, based on cidrmatching ips from one search to the cidrblocks in the other. I don't want to use lookup tables as I want both to be dynamic. 

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

IZ88
Path Finder

Hi @maramel 

Since map uses quotation marks, you must use \ for all special characters within you search.

| map search=" | search index=my_other_index  earliest=-6h | rename id as id2 | dedup id2 | eval searchip=$src_ip$ | eval matches=if(cidrmatch(cidr_block, searchip), \"true\", \"false\") | table id2 searchip matches cidr_block"

View solution in original post

IZ88
Path Finder

Hi @maramel 

Since map uses quotation marks, you must use \ for all special characters within you search.

| map search=" | search index=my_other_index  earliest=-6h | rename id as id2 | dedup id2 | eval searchip=$src_ip$ | eval matches=if(cidrmatch(cidr_block, searchip), \"true\", \"false\") | table id2 searchip matches cidr_block"

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...