Splunk Search

makemv not working

brinley
Path Finder

I have the following single-value field (that really should be a multi-value field):

puppy_name="Spot Dexter Jake"

It really should be a multivalue field, like ...

puppy_name="Spot" "Dexter" "Jack"

Here is what I have tried:

index=puppies | makemv puppy_name delim=" "

Unfortunately that is not working. I can tell because when when I expand an event with the field puppy_name and hover over puppy_name's value in the dropdown, "Spot Dexter Jack" is still a single unit. What am I doing wrong?

0 Karma
1 Solution

brinley
Path Finder

I figured it out. I was using the wrong delim. The delim between each puppy name appeared to be a space in the search results but it was really a newline. Passing delim="\n" to makemv didn't work, so I just converted the newlines into a bar, "|", and then used the bar as the delim.

Final query:

index="puppies" | eval new_puppy_name=puppy_name | rex mode=sed field="new_puppy_name" "s/\n/|/g"| makemv new_puppy_name delim="|"

View solution in original post

0 Karma

brinley
Path Finder

I figured it out. I was using the wrong delim. The delim between each puppy name appeared to be a space in the search results but it was really a newline. Passing delim="\n" to makemv didn't work, so I just converted the newlines into a bar, "|", and then used the bar as the delim.

Final query:

index="puppies" | eval new_puppy_name=puppy_name | rex mode=sed field="new_puppy_name" "s/\n/|/g"| makemv new_puppy_name delim="|"
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...