Splunk Search

makemv and mvindex not working as expected

ankit
Explorer

I am working with JSON data type events and am trying to extract the username (user1, user2) from the pathspec data structure in my events (sample below) :

"pathspec": {"__type__": "PathSpec", "location": "/media/APA_windows/Users/user1/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/UsrClass.dat", "type_indicator": "OS"}

"pathspec": {"__type__": "PathSpec", "location": "/media/APA_windows/Users/user2/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/UsrClass.dat", "type_indicator": "OS"}

I am using the below SPL to split up pathspec.location into a multi value field and then use mvindex : 

.....  | makemv delim="/" pathspec.location
| eval user_name = mvindex(pathspec.location, 3) 

However when I table out the user_name field it does not show any results. Not sure why this is not working. Any suggestions would be helpful 

Desired output from the user_name field would be 

user1
user2

Labels (3)
Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

tscroggins
Influencer

@ankit 

Field names containing special characters should be surrounded with single quotes when used in eval expressions:

| eval user_name = mvindex('pathspec.location', 3)

View solution in original post

ankit
Explorer

Awesome ! That worked @tscroggins ! Thanks a lot for helping out. 
Could you point me to a link, if possible, to what Splunk considers as special characters ? 

0 Karma

tscroggins
Influencer

@ankit 

The exact wording in documentation [1] (emphasis Splunk's):

If the expression references a field name that contains non-alphanumeric characters, other than the underscore ( _ ) character, the field name needs to be surrounded by single quotation marks. For example, if the field name is server-1 you specify the field name like this new=count+'server-1'.

I.e. Any character other then 0-9, A-Z, a-z, and _.

1. https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.1.3/SearchReference/Eval

tscroggins
Influencer

@ankit 

Field names containing special characters should be surrounded with single quotes when used in eval expressions:

| eval user_name = mvindex('pathspec.location', 3)

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...