Splunk Search

lookup table

splunkyboy2
Explorer

Hi

can anyone help me with a lookup table

i have a 2 column lookup with column headings IPs and URLs, and i want to see if information in either csv field appears in the index data at all

some fields on the csv just have a url, some just have an ip , some both

is there a search string that will search the contents of either column against data held in index

Thanks in advance

Helppppp

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
1 Solution

splunkyboy2
Explorer

it works using a single column ( match) lookup with the syntax below, thanks for all your help

index="wss_events" sourcetype=symantec:websecurityservice:scwss-poll  [| inputlookup "WSSIOC4.csv" | rename match as query | fields query ]

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @splunkyboy2,

you could run something like this:

your_search ([ | inputlookup your_lookup | rename IP AS query | fields query ] OR [ | inputlookup your_lookup | rename URL AS query | fields query ])

Ciao.

Giuseppe

splunkyboy2
Explorer

Thanks for the reply, im new to splunk, so pardon my silly questions

how would i script a search that compares ether column of the lookup against data in the index using what you sent , would that be

index=myindex ( [  | inputlookup my lookup | rename IPs as query | fields query ] OR [ | inputlookup my lookup | rename URLs as query | fields query ] )

thanks for your help

your_search ([ | inputlookup your_lookup | rename IP AS query | fields query ] OR [ | inputlookup your_lookup | rename URL AS query | fields query ])

Tags (1)

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @splunkyboy2,

if you rename a field in a subsearch  "AS query", you use the results of the subsearch as free text search in the main search and not only in a field as usual.

You have to use two subsearches because you have two columns to use in the search.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

splunkyboy2
Explorer

so is this the search i need to run below ?

index=myindex ( [ | inputlookup my lookup | rename IPs as query | fields query ] OR [ | inputlookup my lookup | rename URLs as query | fields query ] )

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

hi @splunkyboy2,

yes, try this and see results, to understand if it's Ok or if you have to modify something:

index=myindex ( [ | inputlookup mylookup | rename IPs as query | fields query ] OR [ | inputlookup mylookup | rename URLs as query | fields query ] )

Ciao.

Giuseppe

splunkyboy2
Explorer

i put an ip address i found in my data into the lookup to test the search, but it didnt bring back any results

as i dont really understand the search, its hard to see where its not working i guess

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @splunkyboy2,

test the subsearches on by one.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

splunkyboy2
Explorer

i tried breaking it down , but no results

i have made a new lookup with two columns  , one called info is a mix of ip addresses and urls, and the second column just has the word match against all fields

i tried the search index=xxxxxxx | inputlookup xxxxx.csv | rename info as query | fields query

should that work if anything in the info field is present in the data ?

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @splunkyboy2,

maybe there a representation problem, but you have to use square brackets for subsearches (use Insert/Edit Code Cample for codes):

index=xxxxxxx [| inputlookup xxxxx.csv | rename info as query | fields query ]

using only one colums obviously semplify your search.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

splunkyboy2
Explorer

it works using a single column ( match) lookup with the syntax below, thanks for all your help

index="wss_events" sourcetype=symantec:websecurityservice:scwss-poll  [| inputlookup "WSSIOC4.csv" | rename match as query | fields query ]

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...