Splunk Search

json_extract returns zero results - why?

codekiln
Explorer

I have a JSON-based log file for which every line is a valid JSON document. When searching it like this:

source="/path/to/json/logfile" message.path="/ws/ws_metrics/page_hidden/" | table message.params.page_hide_metrics

I get entries with the JSON I expect, like this: 

{"connections":[{"connection_num":1,"initialized":"2021-10-25T20:46:45.318Z","ready_state":1,"connected_duration_seconds":32.296,"ready_state_times":[null,0.512,null,null]}],"tab_session_id":"604931x|concept|1635194804","first_connection_index":0,"percent_uptime":0.9843940502316508,"duration_seconds":32.296,"page_duration_seconds":32.808}

However, when I try to use an example like example #1 given for json_extract in the splunk docs

source="/path/to/json/logfile" message.path="/ws/ws_metrics/page_hidden/" | eval ph_metrics = json_extract(message.params.page_hide_metrics) | table ph_metrics

I don't get any results. Why?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

codekiln
Explorer

The reason why is that field specifiers seemingly require single quotes. I found an SPL2 table of quotation marks hereApparently, single quotes are meant for field names, and double quotes are meant for string parameters to functions.  My hypothesis is that SPL lets one use fields with dotted delimiters in certain parts of queries such as at the beginning, but not when passing a reference to fields in a function.

To solve, use single quotes around the field specifier. So this will return the entire JSON object:

source="/path/to/json/logfile" message.path="/ws/ws_metrics/page_hidden/" | eval ph_metrics = json_extract('message.params.page_hide_metrics') | table ph_metrics

And this will return just the connections attribute within the JSON: 

source="/path/to/json/logfile" message.path="/ws/ws_metrics/page_hidden/" | eval ph_metrics=json_extract('message.params.page_hide_metrics', "connections{}") | table ph_metrics

0 Karma

venkatasri
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @codekiln 

page_hide_metrics json element doesn't exist in payload, if you want to extract out of the payload try something like this to findout what fields being extracted.

If Auto KV json mode enabled you would see them extracted by default, otherwise spath helps to findout. then you can find which field to be extracted and figure out which function (json_extract) /command (spath) to use. 

| makeresults 
| eval _raw="{\"connections\":[{\"connection_num\":1,\"initialized\":\"2021-10-25T20:46:45.318Z\",\"ready_state\":1,\"connected_duration_seconds\":32.296,\"ready_state_times\":[null,0.512,null,null]}],\"tab_session_id\":\"604931x|concept|1635194804\",\"first_connection_index\":0,\"percent_uptime\":0.9843940502316508,\"duration_seconds\":32.296,\"page_duration_seconds\":32.808}
" 
| spath 
| fields *

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...