Splunk Search

join two result with different times

splunkdivya
Explorer

I have a use case, where in I need data from different dates compared to previous days. so, I have a time picker and a previous days dropdown with 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 days option.

e.g. there may be a case where in I need to compare today with last 5 days. So, I will select today from time range and previous 5 days from dropdown.

case 2. : I can select date range from time picker and then compare with any number of days.

I used join: index=abc earliest=$time_tok.earliest$- $days_selected$ latest=$time_tok.earliest$|stats count(host) by source|join type=left source[index=abc earliest=$time_tok.earliest$ latest=$time_tok.latest$|stats count(host) by source].

tried using daysago as well, but it is very very slow.

Please provide some pointers.
Best,

0 Karma

mydog8it
Builder

I do something similar in the following search. It grabs the past 30 minutes and the prior three weeks same 30 minute window and averages the historical data to establish "normal" and then displays "now" in the same timechart. I thought this would give you something to work from. Not the prettiest search, but it works.

index=main earliest=-30m@m latest=-0m@m host="xxxxxxx"
| timechart span=30s count as TOTAL
| eval ReportKey="Last30"
| append [search index=main host="xxxxxxx" earliest=-10110m@m latest=-10080m@m
| timechart span=30s count as TOT
| eval ReportKey="1WkAgo"
| eval _time=_time+604800]
| append [search index=main host="xxxxxxx" earliest=-20190m@m latest=-20160m@m
| eval ReportKey="2WksAgo"
| eval _time=_time+1209600]
| append [search index=main host="xxxxxxx" earliest=-30270m@m latest=-30240m@m
| eval ReportKey="3WksAgo"
| eval _time=_time+1814400 ]
| timechart avg(TOT) as Three_week_average values(TOTAL) as The_previous_30_minutes

0 Karma

tiagofbmm
Influencer

If your query is accurate, then you don't need to use stats, you can just use tstats, which is 1000x faster:

| tstats count(host) where index=abc AND earliest=$time_tok.earliest$- $days_selected$ AND latest=$time_tok.earliest$ by source
| join type=left source 
    [| tstats count(host) as C2 where index=_internal AND earliest=$time_tok.earliest$ AND latest=$time_tok.latest$ by source ]
0 Karma

splunkdivya
Explorer

Is there a way out to avoid join here?

0 Karma

tiagofbmm
Influencer

Have you tried how faster the query above runs?

0 Karma

tiagofbmm
Influencer

Please let me know if the answer was useful for you. If it was, accept it and upvote. If not, give us more input so we can help you with that

0 Karma

strive
Influencer

How much data you have?
What is your HW configuration?
Dont you have other filter conditions available?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...