Splunk Search

ipmask (dys-)function: Why the SPL parser does not handle this fairly common case?

jpvlsmv
Path Finder

The documentation (9.0.2 Search Reference)  describes a function ipmask(<mask>,<ip>) that is supposed to apply the given netmask to the given IP.  Seems pretty simple, and the examples are mostly straightforward... unless you consider what a netmask of 0.255.0.244 would actually mean on the network.

The more interesting problem is what you're allowed to pass to this function.  From what I can tell, the first parameter MUST be a quoted string of digits, and particularly NOT the name of a field in your data:

|makeresults 1 | eval ip = "1.2.3.4", mask = "255.255.255.0"

With these values defined,

| eval k = ipmask("255.255.255.0", "5.6.7.8") works fine, k=5.6.7.0

| eval k = ipmask("255.255.255.0", ip) works fine, k=1.2.3.0

| eval k = ipmask("255.255.255.0", mask) works fine, k=255.255.255.0 (but isn't a meaningful calculation).

| eval k = ipmask(mask, "5.6.7.8") does not work: Error in 'EvalCommand': The arguments to the 'ipmask' function are invalid.

| eval k = ipmask(mask, ip) does not work: Error in 'EvalCommand': The arguments to the 'ipmask' function are invalid.

I'm sure there's some highly technical reason why the SPL parser does not handle this fairly common case, and if there's anyone who can share that reason, I'd love to hear it.

--Joe

Labels (1)
Tags (4)

tfujita_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi,

The inability to pass a field name as the first argument of ipmask prevents this function from calculating the network address when the netmask is variable.
Also, with IPv6 addresses, it cannot be used as a method of calculating network addresses.
This seems to limit the use of the ipmask function very much.

I added the following external command lookup to the App below as an alternative method of ipmask.

Usage:

| makeresults
| eval ip="192.0.2.17/255.255.255.240"
| lookup local=t ipcalclookup Address as ip OUTPUT Network Netmask Prefix Broadcast
| table ip Network Netmask Prefix Broadcast

ipcalclookup.png

Input Address can also be in the following format.

* ip/netmask: e.g. 192.0.2.17/255.255.255.240

* ip/prefix: e.g. 192.0.2.17/28

* ipv6/prefix: e.g. 2001:db8:1234::1/64

Numeral system macros for Splunk 

https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/6595

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Time to hit Ideas🤣

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...