Splunk Search

inputlookup and append search problem. Expect output all rows but only rows with result shows

netinstall
Engager

Please help, want to do a search based on a table of sever-list and find last update time from a server log. I try to create a table first with 4 server listed, I had one server 2.2.2.2. had result in server log. so I expect the result is 4 rows with 2.2.2.2 had totalcount and date and other is empty/null but showing 4 rows. But the result is the inputlookup and append/appendcols will show 1 row only.

Any method to show 4 rows instead. Can any one had experience on it. Thanks

Using this Searchstring sample

| inputlookup append=true hosts_1.csv  | table yumclientip,team,is_expected,totalcount,yumdate | join yumclientip append [ search xxx yyy zzzz | setfields count="0" yumdate="NA" | stats count as totalcount by yumclientip, yumdate  | fillnull value="(empty)" "totalcount" "yumdate"  | dedup yumclientip sortby +_time ]

csv file hosts)1.csv

##################
yumclientip,team,is_expected
1.1.1.1,teamA,true
2.2.2.2,teamB,true
3.3.3.3,teamC,true
4.4.4.4,teamD,true

Result get (only 2.2.2.2 had data)

########################
yumclientip,team,is_expected,totalcount,yumdate
2.2.2.2,teamA,true,18,2017-07-23

But expect result want 4 rows and not 1 rows only

####################
yumclientip,team,is_expected,totalcount,yumdate
1.1.1.1,teamA,true,empty,empty
2.2.2.2,teamB,true,18,2017-07-23
3.3.3.3,teamC,true,empty,empty
4.4.4.4.teamD,true,empty,empty
0 Karma

DalJeanis
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

append is not a valid keyword for join. What this line

| join yumclientip append     [ search ...]

...will do is take the results from the first part of the search, and then try to join that set of records to the set of records returned by the second search, joining them based on the values in the fields named yumclientip and append on each side of the search.

Since the only fields on the right side of the search are totalcount, yumclientip and yumdate, there will never be a match found.

Delete the word "append" from the join clause and see what happens.

I'm still not sure that you have the correct code for what you want, but at least you will get some results.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...